Preaching Isaiah's Message Today
The power of Isaiah is certainly needed in today’s world. In this excellent work you will find Thompson presenting Isaiah’s message in a meaningful and thoughtful manner. The author is both a careful scholar and an articulate practitioner. His deep commitment to Biblical preaching is readily apparent.
In Preaching Isaiah’s Message Today you will find helpful exposition of important prophetic texts, a concise discussion of the challenges found in the book of Isaiah, and practical helps for preaching and teaching Isaiah.
- An overview of the questions of authorship
- 7 sample sermons in manuscript form presenting the heart of Isaiah
- Thorough footnotes and a rich bibliography
- Review questions at the end of each chapter
- Appendices with sermon evaluation forms and exegesis tools
“Using Isaiah as an example, Bill Thompson has done us all a favor by “bridging the gap” between the worlds of preaching and of the Old Testament prophets.
Writing in a clear, easy to understand style, Bill outlines the basic principles of preaching from Isaiah and includes seven sample sermons that do exactly what he proposes. This book may, in fact, change your whole attitude about preaching from the prophetic books.”
- Bob Russell, Retired Senior Minister, Southeast Christian Church and co-author of When God Builds a Church
“Referring to an impressive list of authorities, Thompson succeeds in giving a remarkably even-handed survey of often-contentious issues related to the prophets and to Isaiah in particular. Those who read this book and take it to heart will be equipped to open the riches of Isaiah to all who depend upon them for the hearing of the Word of God.”
- John Oswalt, Visiting Distinguished Professor of Old Testament at Asbury Theological Seminary and author of several commentaries and books on Isaiah
“This book is a great contribution to preaching Christ from the Old Testament, in this case from Isaiah (I wish I had written it myself). Bill Thompson has read widely and studied thoroughly the issues in interpreting and preaching from Isaiah. His writing style is clear and insightful. This book is an excellent primer for student preachers as well as seasoned pastors. I highly recommend Bill Thompson’s Preaching Isaiah’s Message Today.”
- Sidney Greidanus, Professor Emeritus of Calvin Theological Seminar and author of Preaching Christ from the Old Testament
About the Author
Bill Thompson is a retired senior minister and an adjunct professor for Ohio Christian University. He received his MDiv degree from Cincinnati Christian University, his ThM degree from Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, and his
DMin degree from Asbury Theological Seminary.
We Also Recommend